View random article

New Zealand Woman Suffers Stroke Caused by a HICKEY!

Dr. Teddy Wu, a physician at the Christchurch Hospital, published a report in the New Zealand Medical Journal, treated a woman who suffered a stroke caused by a hickey. Wu reported that one year ago, he treated a 44 year old Maori female at the emergency room of the Middlemore Hospital in Auckland (where Wu worked at the time) and experienced loss of movement throughout her left arm after getting a "lovebite" from her beau while watching TV. Wu quipped that it was the first time someone had ever been hospitalized for a hickey.

Wu stated: "Because it was a lovebite there would be a lot of suction. BEcause of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel. There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was."

The clot then traveled to the woman's heart and caused a minor stroke. Doctors treated the woman with the anti-coagulant Warfarin, and within a week, the clot had dissipated.

Featured in Health